Collecting vinyl records - Brazilcult.com
Do they really sound better than other modern digital Medias such as CD, DAT, MP3?
- The kind of music you listen to must be available on vinyl. If you
enjoy some music released after 1996, maybe you couldn’t find it on
- If you own the right equipments, accessories and adopt the correct
procedures you will achieve a great sound from the vinyl. And after
listening, you will realize the difference and the supremacy of vinyl
records over any digital Medias!
- Buy a good turntable from manufactories as Thorens, Technics
(SL-1200 is a good option), Audio Technica, Denon, VPI, Music Hall and
the modern (USB compatible) Numark, Gemini, Stanton, Vestax or any
similar of such level.
- Use a top cartridge like Shure V15 - Type V, Audio Technica or similar.
- Make a careful adjustment on your pickup, which includes leveling
the feet, the tone arm balance, tracking force, stylus alignment and
- Buy a RIAA correction curve phono pre-amplifier. We use the Rane
PS-1 and ART USB Plus: They're not expensive and work just fine.
- Buy a Record Machine Cleaner Vacuum Powered device such as VPI 16.5, VPI 17 or Nitty Gritty.
- Buy an anti-static gun as Zerostat and anti-static Carbon Fiber Brush like Audioquest or similar.
The size of the vinyl album’s jacket has vital importance to stand out the graphic arts it contains. Such covers are truly artistic objects! They lend an essential support to the songs, something like a continuity of the artist’s project. They reflect and translate the “soul” of the songs into images. It’s easier to visualize details, so that new formats, materials, textures and other devices can be freely explored by the art-cover designer.
- A CD is not so expensive as a LP. And its playing system is cheaper than the LP’s one.
- The CD small size makes it easier to be stored and carried. Besides
MOBILITY (the word of the moment), it can be used on Discman, which
allows you to hear music even when tripping anywhere.
- It’s easier to locate/access any point of the song.
- It’s easier to repeat a track, disc or a passage.
- The CD sound is aseptically clean. It has no clicks, no pops, no
surface noise. The CD has an improved signal-noise ratio. The dynamic
range is far better than the vinyl record one.
- The recording and mastering of CD usually is less compressed, which allows recording both subtle (pianissimo) and strong (fortissimo) sounds.